Monday, April 26, 2010

Pioneer Spirit

EcoGriff

Vol. 10

Kelly and I took a scenic train ride over the weekend where we were able to see some beautiful landscape here in Arizona. I was awestruck not so much by the scenery itself, but how we got there. No, not the train, but the track. I stood there looking down to the ground 150 feet below us and thought to myself: “How amazing were the folks who laid these tracks!”

When I read history or live it, (like taking this train ride), I am amazed by the American pioneer spirit. I am wowed by what these folks accomplished with none of the modern day tools we have today. These folks did not go back to hotels each night, they slept on the ground, drank black coffee, cooked by wood and fire, walked to work up hill both ways… you get the drift.

Where has this spirit gone? Do we still have it? Did Dr. Peter Venkman and the other Ghostbusters remove it? What is something strange in our neighborhood? Did it last longer then Ray Parker Jr.’s career?

I believe the spirit is still in us. I see it in my 2 year-old son every day. Every day for him is an adventure. Nothing seems impossible. Although things get frustrating, he believes he will win. Negativity does not exist. If I were to ask him to build a Proton Pack to capture some ghosts he would say: “OK! I don’t know what that is, but I am sure I can do it.”

I at times believe we have lost our way with the pioneer spirit. We focus more on finding easy ways to do things rather than the best ways. We look for convenience over substance. Wants are more important than needs. When the economy goes south and finances are tight, we think of the luxuries we can’t live without or try to decide if food are water are really needs. When we need to be focused, we allow the freakin’ Stay Puft Marshmallow Man to enter into our thoughts! Damn Marshmallow Man!

Making changes to be more eco-sensitive is not like building a train track with picks, shovels and sweat. It is about letting go of some luxuries so we can make choices that are better for us and for the environment we need to survive. Can you find the same luxury in a more eco-sensitive product? Bet you can! Again, this is not an all at once endeavor, but a gradual process. A lot of little changes add up to BIG impact!

ECOcation:

http://www.reusablebags.com/

Best,

EcoGriff

2 comments:

  1. I did trade my Porsche 911 for a Prius. I think the guys at Toyota
    are still in shock

    ReplyDelete