Monday, March 15, 2010

Buffelgrass

EcoGriff

3.15.10

I read recently that 3.2 percent of U.S. adults are vegetarians. That is roughly 7.3 million people. The article said an additional 22.8 million U.S. adults say they follow a vegetarian inclined diet. So basically there are about 30 million people that take part in a vegetarian inspired meal plan. You would think that with 30 million people eating this way, there would be a way to stop canned beans from being the musical fruit that makes you toot.

Have you ever said yes to a volunteer opportunity without all the facts? This happened to me recently. Actually Saturday. I agreed to be a volunteer with my wife’s Emerging Leaders class. In my mind, we would be outdoors helping to keep Arizona beautiful by picking some weeds with a group called the Weedwackers. What happened was that of a class of 15 students, it was me, my wife, one of her co-workers and one student (and a bunch of people in the Weedwacker organization). Picking weeds happened if you call using a pickax to get them out of the ground, picking weeds. SERIOUSLY we were standing on the side of a mountain hacking away at the landscape trying to rid it of an invasive species called buffelgrass. You can’t just pull these suckers out of the ground, you have to chop a them, dig at them, beg them, what ever you can. Fire makes them stronger. I am still sore from swinging that darn pickax. Stupid buffelgrass.

I have begun reading Ready, Set, Green by Graham Hill and Meaghan O’Neill. Chapter 4 is called Eating Your Way Green. Sounds harmless. I wish that I never laid eyes on that chapter. Once I know the solution, I have to act on it. I can’t just pretend I did not know that stealing is against the law (metaphor). Prior to this I have really avoided the whole meat is bad issue. Well, I knew from other readings that reducing your meat consumption was better for the environment, but I was clearly in the dark on the whole picture.

Just so you are aware, I am not a “save the cow” kind of guy. I do not think highly of the intellectual ability of the cow or the chicken really. I do not believe they think of greener pastures as they stand face to butt day after day. If they have any thought it is more, “man, it freakin’ stinks in here.” That being said, I am concerned about the lack of concern from the USDA about the amount of hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides that cows are hanging out with that get into their bodies. When it gets in them, it gets in us. NO WAY that is good for anyone. I like a good antibiotic when I am sick, but come on. This book is not a shock factor book. It really dispels myths and helps us to make good choices for the environment and for ourselves. Knowledge is wonderful, but it comes with an expectation of sharing. Here is my share. I am not against meat. I love meat. I will not however be able to eat red meat again that I am not sure where it came from or who it has been hanging out with. Organic meat is the way to go. You can be confident that the meat is free from the extra debris. It may cost a little more, but boy is it worth it!

ECOcation:

Food news and issues: www.treehuggger.com

Planet-Friendly recipes: www.planetgreen.com

I will get some pictures up soon of our garden!

Best,
EcoGriff

2 comments:

  1. Corey, thanks for the updates...very interesting to hear about your meatless journey. not sure if this link will work in a comment but a relatively hearty meal that we had recently, meat-free:
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/quick-white-bean-stew-with-swiss-chard-and-tomatoes

    Also, Liz recommends an eye-opening movie that might be worth getting in the Netflix rotation:

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286537/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corey,
    Congrats on your decision to go meatless for the month of March! It sounds like you are having fun with the whole thing! I just read thru your posts and really enjoyed them all! I have been on the vegetarian journey for 2+ years and just gave up dairy and eggs in November....talk about a CHALLENGE! You'll have to give that a shot next :)
    I would recommend Food, Inc (movie) if you have not already seen it....it is very powerful...
    Also, perhaps Kelly is familiar with Sophie Uliano's book Gorgeously Green....great book, although written by a woman for women it is loaded with info that you would both benefit from......
    I look forward to your next post......by the way in my 2+ years as a vegetarian I have had ONE veggie burger and have not even attempted any other meat substitutes! Prior to giving up dairy and eggs I did a lot of quiches, veggie lasagna, etc...now it's whole grains, nuts, veggies and fruit! It's been fun yet challenging....Alexa is on board with the whole vegan thing as well......the rest of the fam is not, but they are eating better without realizing it!
    Love and hugs to Kelly and Nathan!
    :)Karen

    ReplyDelete