Sunday, March 21, 2010

Don't Squeeze the...

EcoGriff

3.21.10

Have you ever talked with someone about 100 percent recycled toilet paper? It is almost like I can see people visualizing toilet paper being harvested from the sewer, put in a wheelbarrow, and then brought to some plant for processing. (I have actually had people say to me “EEW Gross”). Just for clarification, recycled toilet paper is made from recycled paper, not from used toilet paper.

It also does not mean that it feels like sandpaper on your behind! If you are used to using Charmin, yes, it will most likely feel a little thin compared to Charmin. Charmin most resembles using a washcloth, where Earth First toilet paper is between, say, public restroom and Charmin. Very sturdy, soft (but not spongy), and much better for the environment! Sure, some folks say it would be like using sandpaper on your most delicate area. I challenge you to test sandpaper and recycled toilet paper side by side. I am sure you will be very happy with the recycled!

I recently had a conversation with someone who said that they were proud of me and Kelly for making the switch to recycled toilet paper. They would not, however, be making the switch. They could not go back to the rough stuff. After some time to think about that comment and having a couple of laughs about it, it got me thinking. What were our forefathers using 234 years ago when we declared our Independence? Did they have debates over the softness of the toilet paper, or were they just happy to have some? I am trying to picture John Adams (1st President to live in the White House) saying to Thomas Jefferson:

“Tom, enjoy the place. It has some beautiful views. I am going to miss everything about the place. Well, everything but the toilet paper. It is a bit rough on my delicate caboose. You may want to talk to someone about switching providers.”

“Thanks, Johnny. I will be sure to make the change. I wish it came on a roll. That would be efficient. Soft paper on roll.”

“Ok, Tom, you are a bit of a dreamer. Anyway, good luck with the place.”

Why toilet paper in this issue of EcoGriff? It started on Thursday. Kelly and I were out running some errands (had Thursday and Friday off). We were on our way home when we saw a new store called GO GREEN. I suggested we stop in. As we were in the store checking out their small selection of cleaning supplies and excellent prices on light bulbs, the owner says that customers rave about the toilet paper she carries. We had a brief discussing comparing various brands of recycled toilet paper when my wife says: “Can I use your bathroom? All this talk of toilet paper…” So off she goes. I begin talking with the owner about some of the various other products when Kelly emerges from the bathroom. We buy a drain cleaner solution that is environmentally safe and decide to buy 4 rolls of the toilet paper (it was only .59 per roll). We get back in the car and head for home. As we are driving, Kelly reaches into her pocket and pulls out a torn off piece of toilet paper. Yes, she tore off a piece for me to feel the softness. She said it was because she did not think we would buy it, but wanted me to be able to feel it. Really? Who does that? So when you are wondering how much your spouse loves you, you now have a measuring stick. Does this person love me enough to tear off a piece of toilet paper, and put it in their pocket for you to feel the softness? If the answer is yes, GOOD FOR YOU!

Note: Not all recycled toilet paper is made equal! Some are better than others. You will need to do your own “field” research. We have not exhausted our research, but currently Earth First is the brand of choice in our house (this is not the brand from the previous paragraph).


ECOcation:

Energy Efficiency: http://www.eere.energy.gov/

Toilet Paper: http://www.nrdc.org/land/forests/gtissue.asp

Best,

EcoGriff

4 comments:

  1. OK, so Kelly loves you A LOT!!! I have to say, we are still using Scott's....I'll have to start test driving recycled TP myself........
    We do the old-fashioned baking soda, vinegar, boiling water combo in our drains and it works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    The Store address:

    9413 North Central Avenue
    Phoenix, AZ. 85020
    602-944-444

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    If you are using Scott's now, moving to recycled TP will be an easy transition for you. It will most likely be an upgrade:)

    ReplyDelete